Home Fire Safety Tips | TMG Companies
A strong home fire safety plan can improve your family's chances of escaping a fire safely and, in some cases, it may help you avoid one altogether. Learn three top ways to practice fire safety in the home from the experts at ServiceMaster Restore.
Home Fire Prevention
- Keep flammable materials away from heat sources. If you're using a portable space heater, keep it at least 3 feet away from flammable objects like furniture, blankets, electronics and anything combustible.
- Don't leave flames or smoking materials unattended, including fireplaces, stovetops, candles and cigarettes. Avoid smoking indoors, and never smoke in bed.
- Fix or replace frayed electrical cords or wires.
- Don't overload wall outlets or extension cords.
- Have your furnace or home heating source periodically inspected and kept in good working order.
- Make sure everyone in the household understands the importance of home fire safety and observes fire-safe habits, including your kids.
Home Fire Safety Equipment
A good home fire safety plan includes having the right supplies and safety equipment on hand. These tools will be your first line of defense in the event of a fire, and they can dramatically improve your ability to react effectively.
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home, in every bedroom, and outside each sleeping area.
- Inspect and maintain your smoke detectors
- A fire extinguisher can keep small, containable fires from growing out of control. Have an extinguisher handy whenever you use cooking or heating equipment.
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher
- Consider installing an automatic sprinkler system in your home.
Fire Safety Planning
During an emergency, reaction time is critical. Beyond the equipment you need, everyone in your household should know what to do if a fire starts. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Create a fire safety plan that establishes at least two escape routes and a safe location away from the home where everyone can meet.
- Make an emergency communications plan to stay in contact during and after a fire.
- Practice your escape plan twice a year so everyone can act quickly when it counts.
- Teach children how and when to call 9-1-1.
Don't let a fire catch you or your family off guard. The right preparations and an effective home fire safety plan can mitigate the risk of injury or damage during a residential fire or help prevent a fire emergency altogether. If disaster does strike, your family's safety is of primary importance. Use our home fire safety tips to stay out of harm's way.
We are a full service residential cleaning company and commercial cleaning company equipped to keep your home or business in top shape for years to come. Our hundreds of happy clients can testify to the quality of our work, the efficiency of our professionals, and the beautiful clean that they experience. If you’re ready to see how a professional can upgrade your home or commercial building and keep your space sparkling, contact TMG Companies today and schedule a professional cleaning for your home or office or fill out the form on this page and we'll contact you!