It’s spring time! that means April showers bring May flowers. Well unfortunately, April showers can often bring leaky roofs, clogged gutters, and flooded basements. This unfortunate water damage is likely to then spiral into hazardous mold growth, structural failure, staining, and other types of property damage.
As a homeowner, you know that maintaining your home tends to be a full-time job. So let’s take a moment to review the causes and potential hazards that can accompany water damage.
Common Causes of Water Damage
Water damage can happen in any home, condo, or apartment. No housing structure is safe with it comes to water damage. Any structure that has excess water pooling in areas such as the basement, crawl spaces, or along the interior walls is at risk of long term water damage consequences.
However homeowners can do their when it comes to part in stopping the growth of mold. This is achieved by being aware of the most common areas of water pooling and water leaks. Here are a few places to monitor.
- Be wary of pipes that are leaking or have burst.
- Check the basement and under sinks regularly.
- Be aware of water pressure issues and growing water bills that could indicate a hidden leak.
- Check areas that are prone to collecting water, such as crawl spaces, attics, and basements.
- Monitor household appliances that use water such as the ice maker in your fridge or the dishwasher.
- Schedule annual cleanings and inspections of HVACs (Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units).
- Inspect all areas of the house after a natural disaster and other weather-related water problems.
Effects of Water Damage
Depending on the amount and duration of water insurgence, a structure can see a wide range of damage. If caught early enough, then some water damage can be mitigated and repaired. Extensive damage could mean extreme cases of mitigation or even the loss of the structure.
There are 3 categories of water damage:
- Category 1 refers to clean water, or water that does not pose a threat to humans. Possible causes of this type of damage include broken appliances or sink overflows.
- Category 2 water is also called gray water. This means that the water is contaminated and may cause sickness of ingestion. This type of water contains microorganisms. Broken toilets, broken sump pumps, and seepage may cause category 2 water damage.
- Category 3 water is known as black water. This type of water is unsanitary, as it contains bacteria and other organisms that cause sickness. The possible sources of black water damage include sewage problems and contamination of standing water.”
Water damage can cause…
- Structural damage to a foundation, roof, and other components of a building.
- Growth of mold, mildew, and other bacteria that thrives in standing water or water that has soaked organic material.
- Staining on interior walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Strong odors that come from the fungal growth associated with water damage.
Do you have water damage in your home or business? The earlier you can mitigate the fewer long-term effects you will have. Contact our team at TMG to get started airing out, removing damaged wood and furniture, and start mitigating the problem as soon as possible.
Experience You Can Trust, Service You Can Count On!
Don’t worry if you happen to have the need for our carpet cleaning services and are searching for carpet cleaning near me choose TMG Companies. We are a full service residential cleaning company and commercial cleaning company , equipped to keep your home or business in top shape for years to come. Our hundreds of happy clients can testify to the quality of our work, the efficiency of our professionals, and the beautiful clean that they experience. If you’re ready to see how a professional can upgrade your home or commercial building and keep your space sparkling, contact TMG Companies today and schedule a professional cleaning for your home or office or fill out the form on this page and we’ll contact you!